Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The story so far.

So here's the deal so far (the raison-d'ĂȘtre for this blog and the adventure if you will):
We're a Canadian couple, who since our honeymoon in NZ (three years ago) have been talking about moving to New Zealand. In fact, the original plan was to get married, say goodbye to our jobs and head out there after a short delay to organize our lives here in Canada. So that didn't quite work out as planned, and here we are 3 years later.
A couple of big events happened during our "delay"
  • We bought a house. More out of necessity then anything else, but we are home owners right now.
  • I started working for a large software company here in Ottawa.
  • Carly decided it was high time to follow her (now obvious) true vocation and enrolled in Teacher's College.
  • We got very comfortable in our lives, but more then a little complacent and definitely more bored then we thought we would be.
At the back of our heads, the potential for immigration was stewing. In November 2007, a couple of things happened more or less all at once that got our juices flowing.
  • The company I work for got acquired, by a large 3 letter company. This put my job in a state of limbo where I didn't know if I was going to stay employed, for how long etc. This also meant that all new work for me dried up pretty much instantaneously.
  • Carly confirmed that, well, in Ottawa at least right now, there's really not much opportunity for an Elementary School teacher just out of college.
  • We definitely weren't quite ready for kids. (at least, I am not, I'm sure Carly will voice up with a differing opinion)
So, faced with some major upheavals and the prospects of having to find new gainful employment, we figured, well, since we'll likely have to move anyway, why bother limiting ourselves to Canada?
In January 2008, things got confirmed with my job... my position was labeled "Transitional", which in essence means I'm more then welcome to stick around until April 2009. Now, truth be told, there's all sorts of incentives etc. that could be interesting to stay, but honestly? This was the catalyst I'd been looking for.
So there you have it. We're shooting for a July 2008 move date, we're planning on moving to somewhere around Wellington, New Zealand. We're scared shitless.

No comments:

Post a Comment