Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Floating on my Own Little Island...

I knew that working remotely was going to be a challenge. I knew that working from 6am to 11am (luckily soon to be from 7am to 12am once Canadian Daylight Savings Time kicks in) was going to be rough. What I didn't expect was that my greatest frustrations would be my inability to get the job done... I can remember how hard it was to balance everything going on locally (e.g. face to face) as well as the constant flow of emails and IM pings etc. The meetings they are being called into are pretty much constant and being set to "away" most of the time is normal in the office I left.

Sadly, those same IM pings are the only way I have to communicate with most people and sometimes the answer to a simple question is what's stopping me from getting a pile of work done. It's the nature of working remotely I gather. I have other things I can work on while I wait, but sometimes, when I have users asking me questions that I can't immediately answer, my need to help people out gets all uppity because it would have been so much simpler had I been local.

I'm glad this position is only temporary, I can't imagine how people deal with these situations long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment