Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Humming and Hawing...

Carly and I have been trying as much as possible to not make any choices that are specifically detrimental to the environment. Not so much trying to be carbon-counting/placard-bearing/pocket-mulching environmentalists, really we've just been trying to choose the environment's side when faced with a choice. This has involved drying most of our clothing outside (which I've grown quite used to, though I thought I wouldn't) recycling, using re-usable containers and most importantly walking or busing everywhere.

However, that last one has been significantly limiting our flexibility here in Wellington. For day to day needs, the bus and train system here is excellent. You can hop a single bus almost anywhere, then walk 5-10 minutes and be at your destination. Parking's also a problem downtown, so you wouldn't want to drive anyway.
Many of our favorite and planned activities (camping, kite surfing, exploring New Zealand in general) require some sort of motorized transport. We're short changing ourselves rather badly if we can't get out of Wellington.

So, I've started looking for a car. The main things it needs:
  • carrying capacity: A station wagon, a minivan or maybe a large hatchback
  • Good on gas: Smaller engine or diesel would be ideal
  • Ability to tow (renting trailers to get stuff you buy is very common here)
  • Cheap.
That's pretty much it. I don't care about anything else really, which is a huge change from my previous cars. I'm going to be buying my first used car, which is a little scary, but with a good inspection and some "emergency repair" money I think we'll be able to manage.

I'm hoping to find a car with good mechanics that isn't too pretty on the outside (body damage is quite common here because of the tight streets and generally bad drivers :P )

We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment