Sunday, April 5, 2009

Montessori Retreat

So poorly planned on my part i admit but i had a paid for Montessori retreat in Upper Hutt the same weekend J and B came from Christchurch. Blaise, bless him, was a real trooper, taking up the bulk of their entertaining while i was at the retreat.

Did i mention he is awesome? he is.

The retreat was different then i expected. i've attended government retreats when i worked back in Canada for Multiculturalism. There is a lot of food, networking and some useful training or really good conversation. Knowing that i guess i should have been prepared for this weekend but i guess i was just expecting workshops.

the cabins were rustic but at least i got the top bunk ^^
The food was plentiful and quite good in my opinion. I _LOVED_ the networking. i learned so much about Montessori teaching just through casual conversation between the other attendees and myself between regular scheduled stuff and meals.
The moderator is one of the most turned on, knowledgeable woman on Montessori according to all the attendees. When she runs a workshop at a conference you want to be in it. She has the manuals memorized, can come up with a solution to almost any class problem, etc. I'm sad to say though i didn't come away with much from the scheduled stuff. I am now hooked up to a google group for Montessori teachers in NZ and i found out about an awesome book for presentations and projects.

I don't know, i guess i was expecting something more like a workshop. One of the teachers in my school (but in the class next door) mentioned i should definitely go to the conference in April 2010 (which is workshop oriented) but i pointed out i don't know whats going to happen beyond December 2009 with my position. Well that is a long-term thing.

I was glad to get home i enjoyed the house warming bbq Blaise had arranged. didn't i tell you he was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment