Tuesday, June 30, 2009

One of Those Facts They Don't Tell You About Immigration...

Your immune sickness stays in your country of origin. Really. I've been sick more often in New Zealand in the last 9 months than I had been in the last 3 years of Canadian living. Thinking of it logically, it makes sense. The germs that we have in NZ are different strains from the North American ones, our bodies aren't used to the new climate, there's different pollens etc. in the air. It doesn't help that we have a drafty, potentially moldy house, but really, I believe it's the lack of immunity that's been doing me in...

I think Carly has a definite advantage as she's exposed to a seething petri dish of illness. Ahhh elementary school, it's definitely got its ups and downs :) She's probably contracted and recovered from more colds without noticing than I can remember having in my life.

So yes, I'm sick. I'm at home right now recovering from another very minor cold. Official rules at work state that if you are displaying symptoms that might be attributed to Swine Flu (I won't go down that rat hole... ) so I worked from home yesterday but today wasn't able to get any work done.

3 comments:

  1. Ick. It does make sense, though. I know claims of getting the 'Tokyo Flu' are true when people move to Japan as well, as they get sick for about three weeks while their bodies get used to all the pollution, etc. Nasty! I'd rather get NZ colds :P Rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoL - Manflu then? Not as bad as birdflu I hear.
    It's a good observation, and I know of some people who have suffered this.
    Personally, I got the same issue when traveling to different company offices in the UK. If I was at the same office for more than a day, I'd get a cold or hay fever reaction. I needed to be there for a good week before my body adjusted.

    ReplyDelete