Monday, July 20, 2009

All Quiet On the Southern Front

Our 10 month anniversary of moving to NZ came and went. No fan fare, not really even noticed to be honest. I think this is a good thing. I won't speak for Carly, though I think it's a pretty safe bet we agree, but I certainly don't feel like an outsider anymore. Our act of immigration, which once defined who we were within New Zealand has become an interesting fact. We know where everything is, we know the local geography, heck, people ask me for directions!

I look at people with backpacks, maps and confused faces and smile now. I'm excited to share the cooler parts of the country with friends and family, looking up things to do and new places to explore.

The regular day-to-day however, is as it ever was. We go to work, we come home I cook (sometimes) exciting meals, Carly makes tasty baked treats. Wes has added some great flavour to our little domestic lifestyle, but overall, life has settled into a very happy, comfortable groove. It's not a rut though, things are still changing up often enough that I'm on my toes.

Most of the things we missed about Canada are now fond memories that we've either come to live without or found local replacements. A few of them we've had to make ourselves (Chicken wings. I bought a fryer just so I could make my own :) ) but mostly with the help of family and friends back home we're well taken care of.

I guess the point of this post is just to say that things are going well, we're happy and we are in the right place :)

1 comment:

  1. Cool - thats really good to hear.
    After nine months here we were going potty living in the middle of town, once we moved to the Wairarapa, we started to feel much more settled.
    Take care & well done!

    ReplyDelete