Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A question of Perspective.

While waiting for the Immigration to get back to us and working on the house, I've been doing a lot of thinking. The fact is, Canada is a pretty incredible place to live and Ottawa is right at the top of that list in my opinion (I think my personal list goes Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax, Toronto) so a question that's been bouncing around in my head a lot is: Why?

The fact is, we're giving up a LOT to go to New Zealand. We've gone through pro/cons, looked at all the costs etc. and really it comes down to one simple fact: We aren't going because we're unhappy, because there's facts of Canada we can't live with out. We're going because we want a change and New Zealand seems as good a place as any to make that change.

Sure there's the fact that Carly will likely not have an easy time finding a job here, there's the winters being hard on us, there's an uncertain job situation for me; but really, those are (surprisingly) rather minor things to us right now. We have a great life here, with some good friends, a nice house etc.

What we're jonesing for is the adventure of setting up in a new and foreign land, seeing if we can do it, what it'll be like. Going to explore a new country and in the process fundamentally changing our lifestyle.

Having come to that realization, I now wonder what kind of permanence will come of this... I mean, if all we're looking for is the adventure, what happens when that wears off? When we're left in a country with its own shares of downsides?

It's kinda scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment