Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Long Flight Here.

So Wes (my best friend and evil henchman. The man responsible for Carly and I meeting) is officially in the air, flying across the pacific as we speak to come join us in this wonderful land. Maybe I should change the name of the blog to Three Canadians Escape to Kiwiland?

Wes, like Carly, is a teacher though high school (Secondary for the Kiwi readers). Like Carly, he was having difficulty finding a full time gig in Ottawa. Wes also has the same sense of adventure we do, so when we decided to move, his plans weren't far behind.

What's interesting is he's taking a completely different route to get here. Rather than bet the farm and get his Permanent Residency, he's coming over on a 3-month work visa. The assumption being that he'll find someone to sponsor him for an extension within the first 3 months. He, however, is already fully qualified to teach here and is arriving at the beginning of the school year, so he can hit the ground running as it were.

I'm ridiculously excited, but also a little nervous about his arrival. For one, this is a VERY small apartment we live in. Carly and I have been bumping into the limited space constraints fairly regularly of late so having another person living here will be a challenge. We've (all 3 of us) already agreed that he's staying for a maximum of 3 weeks; I've been picking up furniture and the like for him when he moves to his own place.

Carly and I have developed a good network of friends here. I've got to be careful not to ignore them now that I have Wes here. It's easy to fall into old patterns... not that our patterns were bad, but I'm quite happy with how life is going here these days.

I think it'll be really cool to be the people showing him around. I think we've got a fair handle on Wellington now. We're certainly not experts, but we know some good restaurants, a few "local" spots that tourists don't typically go to and a few cool spots to hang out.

Wow. exactly 24 hours to go.

1 comment:

  1. Exciting! We have our very first visitor (in 2 years) here right now, and he is also a Canadian. You guys all know each other, right? ;)

    He's only here for 3 days, though...

    Hope your friend loves it here! The great thing is that it's summer, which automatically makes apartments feel larger. :)

    ReplyDelete