Sunday, April 12, 2009

an open letter to my folks

Dear Mom and Dad

Thanks for making me a switched on adult. Ready to try many things even if I'm not sure they'll work. Ready to try and problem solve a situation when it happens. And always prepared with a smile and good grace.

Whats all this about you ask? Well I think my folks raised me well. I don't always keep a cool head in situations that directly involve me but I'm really good in situations that I can step back from. Let me give you an example.

Sunday morning in Hamilton, I awoke, showered, ate a little breakfast and rounded out my gear for another day at the Nationals (a tournament played over 3 days for Blaise's miniature armies he paints and plays). I walked out of the cabin to find Blaise, A. and J. surrounding A.'s car. I next noticed the long metal coat hanger pulled into a long straight piece...yes some of you know where this is going...Blaise was working industriously away at getting it between the window and door.

"You didn't," i said to A.
"Yep," he replied, "last night, i guess i was tired."

A.'s keys were locked into his car on Easter Sunday morning in Hamilton and we needed to be at the competition in about 30 minutes.
"We have AA," said R., A.'s wife.

The men were pretty convinced their method was going to work, A. owns a rather old car. Plus the guys in the cabin beside theirs had come out with a suggestion for straps and some sort of door thing.

I wandered over quietly. I really didn't want to get involved in this manual event but curiosity got the better of me. I walked to the back window and looked in. Yep i saw the keys in the ignition and all the buttons on the doors in the locked position.
I thought about it, its a pretty old car, was the trunk tied into the same system?
I quietly moved to the back and pushed the lever in and pulled the trunk. It didn't move but for some reason i thought to try again. I pulled even harder and the trunk opened up about an inch; the reason it didn't open the first time is the spring system is shot and you have to really haul on it to get it open.

I entered the trunk, crawled over the back seat and was leaning in to grab the keys when A. or J. says "Why is Carly in the car?"

Cue the laughter, it went on for a bit. I retrieved the keys, popped the door locks and went out to present them with a smile to A.
"I swear I tried the boot," he said.
"Oh it was really heavy, it felt locked the first time I pulled on it," I replied trying to make light of the situation.

As I walked back to our cabin I felt really good about it and I suddenly had an image of my folks smiling at me. So thanks mom and dad, you raised a smart cookie and she loves you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment