Thursday, April 16, 2009

Buoyancy coming full cirlce

I went through the Red Cross swimming program as a kid. My parents drove me to lessons, i swam huge amounts of distance. I couldn't do that much swimming now without some hard core training i might add but i digress. I distinctly remember failing a badge, I think it was grey, and the instructor trying to console me by saying "its just a factor of buoyancy kid, you need another year to gain more buoyancy (wait for puberty then you'll float)".
She was right, by the next year i did it no problem.

I had my first scuba lesson last night, we only played in the 2 meter pool but thats totally cool, as the instructor pointed out, if you panic and forget to breath using the regulator at least you can bounce up to the surface.

1)so the flippers contrary to the fears of the shop keeper worked out fine.
2)the mask which seemed to fit well in the store and when i wore it in the pool to do laps has a small quirk. when my head gets completely wet (and my hair) there is water slowly filling the nose area. they said to bring it back before the lesson tonight and we'd try a different one.
3)my scuba outfit (tank, regulator and buoyancy compensator(BC)/think flotation device) which i'll use the whole course was knocking my head last night. in one of those "you should have mentioned it" moments the co-instructor will fix it for me by shifting it farther down the BC jacket.
4)Buoyancy ....
and you wondered where this was going.

i'm now too buoyant.

in our pool time we were learning the basics, how to put your regulator back in if it fall out, finding you regulator, inflating and deflating the BC. nothing major, nothing that could hurt us. things were fine until we were told to sink to the bottom of the 2 meter pool so we could swim around the floor. Awesome! i thought. So the instructor heads down demoing the release of air, then the co-instructor, then my 3 swim mates head down. Ready to take the plunge i hit the release valve on my BC, the air goes shooting out, i go down, down, down and then sort of bounce back up. what the heck? i try letting more air out of the BC but its completely empty. i start doing a rather jerky air flailing, feet kicking thing trying to make myself sink. finally in disgust i just turn my head down and start kicking to the bottom. finally make it to the bottom, the instructor give a thumbs up to start swimming and while waiting for my turn i slowly float back up to the surface. NUTS!!! now we were told beginners tend to be more buoyant because we are inhaling more air than we need due to nervousness but come on!
the co-instructor met me on my second dive to the bottom and he grabbed my BC and started mauling my left side, a few seconds later the other instructor had me by my right side. cool i thought they're going to fix the stupid BC so i can sink. they ended up dumping weights into each side of it so i would stay on the bottom. i'm going to need an pretty hardcore weight belt i think. i wasn't even wearing the wetsuit yet and i'm floating this easily, the wetsuit just adds buoyancy.
and how much wetsuit am i going to be wearing in the ocean btw? 14mm, 1.4cm of neoprene, i'm going to bob around like a buoy.

1 comment:

  1. "lucky!" is my thought. I'm a sinker (negative buoyancy). It makes treading water *really* *really* hard work. It's so lovely to swim in the ocean and be buoyant because when I'm not in salt water (ie. most of the time), I generally like to have an inner tube or something that actually floats to hang on to.

    ReplyDelete