Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Parents visit Berhampore / I did what to my ....?

Last day of school today. And what a doozie of a day. I have been sick for a bit now, a particularly virulent little infection, started off with me coughing up green phlegm, took me off school for almost 2 weeks. And just recently the coughing was really starting to hurt my chest. Before we get into that lets do the fun stuff.

So Tuesday December 15th was my last day at Berhampore school for the term. I had a bunch of kids asking me the day before "is tomorrow your last day?" so i expected (correctly) that presents were forthcoming. And they blew me away with the sheer volume of prezzies and cards, next year maybe I'll ask for a goat. Other companies like world vision do this too.

Anyhoo there was a stage show to be presented at lunch which both my parents had expressed interest in attending. The kids had been working on it for the last week and apart from one forgotten line it was very well done. Later that afternoon after lunch I was starting to feel really pained in the chest area. Like hurting to breathe. So i suggested to my teaching partner (who totally approved bless him) that i would run the last 2 spelling bees and then head to a clinic to see a doctor. Dad who had been collecting left-handed players baseball gloves for us in Canada took a group of excited kids down to practice some skills while i stayed up top to run a bee.

The day ended with some proud spelling bee winners and a pleased as punch teacher (ie. me) wishing the school year hadn't ended quite so soon.

Now onto the bad. My coughing and sore chest. The reason I ended up having pains while breathing was because i have gone and torn the costal cartilage on my 6th rib. The coughing was putting pressure on the area, anyone who has heard me cough knows i put out an enormous woofing cough for someone my size. I finally tore it out Tuesday morning when a particular bad coughing streak hit me in the morning. The doctor says i have to stop coughing and then it will be 2-3 weeks for the cartilage to repair. And to make me feel better he gave me 5 drugs, i kid you not 5. An anti-inflammatory for the muscles, an antibiotic to clear out the last of the virus so i would stop coughing, a pain killer called Tramadol which my mother claims my grandmother is using, and 2 pills to take with Tramadol to reduce the effect its going to have on my stomach and guts. I ended up programming my ipod to whistle at me every time i needed to take a pill because with 5 of them multiple times a day i'm never going to get this straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment